Thursday, August 24, 2017

Insert Cheesy Post Title Here...

This is a topic I've been re-thinking for a very long time. I have covered a great deal of this in other articles over the years, but it's time for an update. Many folks just don't understand the reasons behind use of training aids, how beneficial they can be, or what their purpose is. Some consider it to be cruel or abusive to utilize any kind of 'training tools' on a horse, but honestly, you've got to keep in mind there are good reasons behind the development of most of what we use for training purposes with our horses.

Spurs are one of the most often misunderstood tools in the horse world. To correctly use the spur, you must first have excellent leg control, as spurs are only meant to be an extension of your leg. Riding horses requires a specific correct body position, and your legs are not the least important factor in this equation by far. As most of you should know by now, my order of importance when discussing the body aids are Seat, Legs, Voice then Hands. Some have asked me, why in this order? Well, to ride most effectively, communication with your horse is paramount, and what parts of the body are touching the horse most when you're in the saddle? That's right -- your seat and your legs.

Back to spurs...why might you need them? If, for instance, you have requested a motion or maneuver from your horse and he has refused your light leg cue, what then? I am all about giving the horse multiple chances to respond correctly, however there are limits to the amount of "tries" the horse should be given, particularly when he/she has a certain amount of training. When my cues are flatly ignored more than once, I am going to begin a more stern request. Spurs can be the ideal answer to explaining to the horse that he/she doesn't have a choice but to acquiesce. My favorite type of spurs are ball spurs, as opposed to classic English spurs with edges or classic Western spurs with rowels. All they provide is pressure from a lower point than your knee and calf, when used correctly.

Crops or whips are a close second when it comes to misunderstood artificial aids. Like spurs, they are an extension of a limb -- in this case, your arm. And, like spurs, they aren't meant to be used as a weapon or for punishment per se. If I want to more strongly communicate my point to a horse, especially when the horse has flatly refused to listen or outright disobeyed in an obnoxious manner, a crop can be helpful in illustrating I mean business. For instance, when requesting the horse move off my leg. Upon asking, and the horse doesn't respond, I can use a slight tap behind my leg to further illustrate what I want. Or, the horse that doesn't like leg pressure, I'll use the tap of a crop to explain kicking out at my leg (or rearing, or bucking, or any of a number of undesirable actions) is unacceptable behavior. That isn't to say I advocate beating a horse. Absolutely not. Know the difference between abuse and clearly illustrating to the horse what you are asking when they ignore your cues.

Various pieces of training equipment, such as martingales, draw reins, cavessons and so forth also elude many people. While there are an awful lot of tack items I do not suggest using and wouldn't own myself, a number of them can be quite helpful during the training process. In 2010, I wrote an article on this blog regarding most of these tools, and I shall expound upon quite a few of them in a later installment. For your reading pleasure, you can check out https://laying-the-foundation.blogspot.com/2010/05/widgets-gadgets-and-gizmos.html and explore that long-ago post. Then there are bits, which I've covered what seems like endlessly and won't get into this time around, either. Please search the blog for bit posts -- there are a lot of them!

Additionally, we have training tools used on the ground, such as stud chains and rope halters or 'Be Nice' halters, longeing cavessons and other varieties of things deemed helpful or necessary to horsemen. That is also another subject for another post. When I began this journey, and today's post, my hope was to cover at least a small percentage of what we use on horses during the training process, and I think I've been at least somewhat successful. There is never enough time it seems to cover everything I want to write about. But, that's the beauty of an ongoing blog. I can (and will!) come back to write again.

~SFTS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated ~ Please be patient!
Your comments will appear as soon as possible! :)