Friday, August 18, 2017

Treat...Or Trick?

Have you ever encountered a treat monster? One of those pushy, obnoxious horses who would sooner knock you over for a treat than cooperate or comply with their rider's wishes? Let me start by saying, I am not opposed to using treats under certain circumstances and I understand the rationalization by those who do feed treats. But, unless you're careful, a monster is exactly what you're liable to create. Here we are going to have one of my shortest posts yet, I’ve just gotta get this one off my chest. So, here we go…

In my training program, treats are a reward for doing a correct job. Horses that expect a treat without actually accomplishing anything learn quickly they can't get away with such nonsense while in my care. I’m not being mean (though don’t ask the Treat Monsters about that, hahaha), I just have my expectations, which include horses working well and not thinking they deserve cookies without doing a thing other than looking pretty. Just, no. That isn’t how it works, guys! As a rule, I only give treats after the horse is worked and only a couple of them at a time.

Owners who dole out the goodies as a regular part of their routine are a trainer’s worst nightmare. Well okay, that could be a slight exaggeration, but my point being, please don’t. I've also known trainers who stuff their pockets full of treats even before saddling the horse, and wouldn't you know it, their horses are usually obnoxious beasts expecting those goodies without actually doing anything. Trust me when I say, this isn’t a good thing. Riding treat monsters is a pain in the rear. Mounting them is even worse – they’re always trying to search your pockets when you are anywhere near their vicinity and it’s no fun having a horse’s teeth graze your behind (or rip your jeans trying to get into your pocket) when you are climbing up into the saddle.

So, my rule is: Treats ONLY after the horse has actually accomplished something! And NOT after every ride! Make the experience one to savor, make it mean something. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

~SFTS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated ~ Please be patient!
Your comments will appear as soon as possible! :)